Seeds..how many?

rockngreenFebruary 28, 2008

Hi,

Usually we buy plants and plant them. Now, we'd like to start from seeds but I don't remember how many seeds to use. The package doesn't say and so i'm at a loss. How many do you use? Does it matter too what i'm starting from seed? I bought seed packets of Tomatoes, Cucumber, Brocolli, Bell Perrer and Green-Onions.

Also with a smaller yard now, which should I plant in big pots vs the ground? Any advice would be helpfu.

Thanks

from southeast louisiana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebetty(7)

I'm starting seeds for the first time this year too as something to do with my toddler and he picked TONS of seeds and we are going to just grow what he picked out. LOL. I have been doing research and found a "paper towel" method and have had great success so far with it. You should also check out the starting from seed section of the forum

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 5:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claygochalck(8b)

As far as pots vs. ground, it is dependent on what you are planting. My recommendation is to look into raised beds on the ground. I am trying that this year with the kids along with my regular large garden. I made a raised bed for the two older kids and am letting them plant what they want in them. I made them 3' wide x 6' long. You can actually plant quite a lot in there. Especially, if you plan ahead and plant one crop after another. Also the LSU ag center has a great publication on their site. Search for the vegetable planting guide.

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 6:34PM
More Discussions
blueberry or blackberry ? (or muscadine?)
hi all i am in Southern Louisiana, outside of NOLA i...
greenman62
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Looking for Gardeners in the NE
Looking for gardeners that live in Northeast Louisiana,...
sebastian
How to get rid of elephant ears?
I know these can be really nice plants(and I'm sure...
Gumbo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™