Blooms weighing down branches

hoosier2bSeptember 14, 2008

Hi I was wondering if someone could advise me on what to do. I have a 4 1/2' tall Nikko Blue that blooms beautifully, the only problem is that it's stems are very thin and so the blooms ends up laying on the ground. I recently went to Massachusetts and walked around the neighborhood as I couldn't resist inspecting the hydrangeas up close. To my shock, the stems were quite thick - 3/4 to 1' in diameter. Is there any way to encourage this? Should I prune (next year) immediately after flowering? Thanks, all!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duncanmsu

Most hydrangeas get thicker, sturdier stems with maturity. If your plant is less than two years old - Give it some time and it will get stronger. If you have it planted in full shade the stems will tend to stretch and be flimsy. A sunnier location will solve the problem. Avoid excess water and fertilizer as this will lead to weak stems. Also prune out about a third of the weakest stems so the remaining stems get more energy and are better equiped to hold the flowers. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 9:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pat

hoosier and duncan, thank you, thank you for starting this question and for the very helpful answer. I had the same exact question. I hate seeing all the stems on the ground, knowing I can't cut them all. Because my Nikko BLue hasn't bloomed for a couple of years, I overfertilized it this summer! And my Blushing Brides and Big Daddys and Forevers are all dragging.
Thanks you "guys" again.
Pat
Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor, Michigan (no offence, Duncan!)

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
What Hydrangea to grow in full sun
Hi, I'm a total newbie to gardening. I want to plant...
Kachana
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™