new methods to grow tropical plants in the northwest

vijiAugust 20, 2001

Hi,

I saw a gardening show in which the gardener in Ontario, Canada, buries his fig trees to protect them from the harsh winter temps. I would like to try this with tropical plants in the Northwest. Has anyone tried this method or any other on various tropicals to protect them in the winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mstrecke(z8 Seattle)

Another method that works is chicken wire and mulch. Make a cage out of chicken wire around the plant you want to protect, and fill it up with mulch.

Margaret

Bookmark   August 21, 2001 at 7:26PM
Stewart-1_medctr_osu_edu

If you have an attached garage (that doesn't go below freezing) you can overwinter deciduous plants. I overwinter my fig, crepe myrtle,& hibiscus with this method. I also overwinter perennials in gallon pots that are either not hardy for my zone or too small to be put into a permanent location. I am thinking of trying to overinter one of my bouganvillea plants in this method as well as some new shrubs that I picked up in South Carolina this summer.

Joe

Bookmark   August 22, 2001 at 10:04AM
robynlacy

What kind of fig do you have and how cold does it get? We have occasional freezing down to the mid 20's quite frequently and my figs are just fine. i have both purple and green figs growing wild......

Bookmark   August 24, 2001 at 7:39PM
JoeStewart25_Hotmail_com

The variety of my fig is called Celeste. It is supposed to be one of the hardiest. My garage rarely goes below the mid 30's unless the temperature outside is below 0. Then I cover by plants with blankets

Joe

Bookmark   August 24, 2001 at 7:44PM
KAYGARDENER(BAY AREA--CALIF)

A FEW INCHES OF SNOW IS A FAIRLY GOOD INSULATOR, SO THE TEMPS AREN'T CONSTANTLY CHANGING IN THE ONTARIO, CANADA GARDEN... THE CHICKEN WIRE & MULCH CAGE SOUNDS GOOD, BUT YOU WOULD HAVE TO CHECK FOR SLUGS & SNAILS REAL EARLY IN MARCH... HAVE YOU TRIED THE LOCAL NW BANANA GROWERS FOR IDEAS? THEIR PLANTS HAVE SEMI-TROPICAL ORIGINS,TOO. (CONTACT THE HOME ORCHARD SOCIETY OR YOUR LOCAL USDA EXTENSION SRVC AGENTS). GOOD GARDENING TO YOU,K.

Bookmark   January 30, 2003 at 4:18AM
bernrooney(new jersey)

I want to create as tropical a feel in my pool area as possible and want to know what palm-like plants will do well in the northeast US

Bookmark   April 29, 2003 at 9:00PM
don_brown(Zone 6A NS)

Okay guys, I do tropical gardening in Nova Scotia, and I have found THE book for all your questions: It is called : "Palms Won't Grow Here and Other Myths" by David Francko, who is the head of the Botany Department at Miami University in Oxford Ohio. He is doing just the kind of gardening that you guys are asking about, and he gives very detailed instuctions on overwintering protection, as well as hardy tropical lists. The book is available from Amazon and Buy.com, etc. Worth every penny! In the meantime, if anyone wants to ask me questions on my experiences, please feel free to send me an e-mail at tropics.ns.sympatico.ca

Bookmark   May 1, 2003 at 10:03AM
shakaho

Check out this link for a guy who is growing palms appropriate for a zone or two warmer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Protecting palms

Bookmark   May 5, 2003 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
when and how to plant lupine seeds
I hope I'm in the right spot but I've been trying to...
nicolero21
Chestnuts: "Nutgrafting"
Anyone knows the grafting method described in the photo? I...
cumulus_nimbus
Planting Fig tree cuttings under boulders
This is my new experiment. Our acreage is studded with...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Diaper Experiment
I read on container gardening about using stuff out...
ILoveMySoldier
The cornmeal experiment
I tried using cornmeal this season on my tomatoes and...
aiaral
Sponsored Products
Red Carpet Studios Wings on Springs Chimes Multicolor - 10901
$18.27 | Hayneedle
Avocado Green Planter
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Vegetable Pigment Carrot Art Print
$23.99 | Dot & Bo
Laetitia Frame 8" x 10"
$1,100.00 | Horchow
Pink & White Faux Flower Decoration
$5.99 | zulily