Irises foliage is drooping

ivorykeys26May 15, 2012

About a month ago, a friend gave me over 20 established rhizomes that she had pulled up from her garden. They were already past bloom at the time. I wasn't able to get them in the ground for about two weeks. I was finally able to plant them about two weeks ago, and the foliage droops more every day. Hardly any of them are erect anymore. I have no idea why, or what I need to do. They are in a sunny location, planted shallowly in loose soil. I think I may have been overwatering at first, but they continue to get worse even though I have not watered in a few days. What do I need to do to perk them back up? Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenofeden777(8a central Louisiana)

Hi, I am far from an expert but the same thing just happened too me. My aunt gave me a beautiful tall healthy bearded iris plant. I too planted in full sun shallowly and watched its deline. Watering was futile. So I began to think about its location at her house and it was part sun not 100% full blazing sun which is where I had placed it. So I put it in part sun now and it has fully recovered and is growing new beautiful foliage. Was the iris that you dug in 100% full sun or part? If it was in part or received shade at any point in the day I would try and replicate its original conditions. Hope this helps. Rena'

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:20PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

You can cut the foliage down to about 8" if it is flopping over. That foliage will mostly die off and after a while new leaves will emerge, nice and fresh. Don't overwater the plants- that will just rot the rhizomes. When they are ripped from the ground the existing foliage usually dies off, and once the roots start growing again new foliage will appear.

This is why many people wait until August or even September to plant rhizomes- so they don't have to look at iris stumps all summer!

Renee

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 1:31AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i call it fanning them.. cut to 4 to 6 inches .... like a hand fan ..

you are supposed to do it on all dug/moved/divided iris ....

and though hosey waits til august.. you can divide your iris any time you want.. though most of us wait until the show is over ...

various pix at the link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™