sago palm problems

wodkaFebruary 17, 2009

Pre-Katrina we lived in Long Beach, MS and had 3 of the most beautiful, carefree sago palms one could imagine. Only worry we had was that they might get too big (of course, Katrina took care of that AND the house!)

Last year we moved to a nearby town and built a new home, new landscaping, etc. We only have one sago palm, and it looks awful. We have sprayed several times with oil, but it just looks like it is getting worse and wonder if it is too late to save it? Fronds are mostly yellowed, scale is underneath.

If we can save it, what is the best way to go about it? I've read about using manganese sulfate, Scott's Bonus-S lawn fertilizer, Ultrafine spray oil, Cygon, Malathion. What would you recommend, and how often should the sago be treated? Someone once mentioned Epsom Salts, but not sure how or why one would use them.

HELP! Your advice is truly appreciated. If we have to, we'll just dig it up, but I really would hate to.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

Read the attached link. It has lots of good info. The only use I know of for Epsom salts is to green up leaves and promote flowers. Have you tried SuperThrive? I think it is good stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cycad Scale

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 11:43PM
wodka

tsmith, thank you for the information. My husband bought some oil yesterday and I sprayed the entire sago. I also went to a nursery that I frequent with one of the infected leaves. She told me to spray about every week or so and when we are through with frost/winter, in mid-March or so, I can prune off some of the leaves. I hope we can save it by doing all of these things. Thanks again for your response.

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 2:06PM
wodka

Update and question on my problem sago.....after spraying the leaves several times, I removed the most diseased ones by clipping them (the local nursery advised to do so, after all threat of freezing temps were gone.) A whole new crown of shoots are coming out (Pardon my ignorance, not sure what the term is.) I thought we were on the road to sago recovery when I noticed this morning that there are globs of gel-like substance on each stem where I cut the fronds. What is that all about? We have had at least three days of continuous rain and thunderstorms, but would that be a reason? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I appreciate any response. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
Beets and Chard are Falling Over
Hello All, I've noticed recently that my beets and...
jshphoto
South Louisiana Blueberries
Anyone growing blueberries in the ground in South Louisiana?...
pharmachad
Lake Charles fruit/citrus trees
Hi all, I'm in Lake Charles (zone 9). I am in the process...
rockydog101
blueberry or blackberry ? (or muscadine?)
hi all i am in Southern Louisiana, outside of NOLA i...
greenman62
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™