pelleted seed for amatures

AlAugust 19, 2001

I have two links on pelleted seed for amatures. One calls for "dry red clay...not white". I am many hundreds of miles from any clay that is not white. Where can I get some dry red clay?

(These pellets were described as big, half inch. I wanted to try and get some kids to work with the senior center in the spring. Thought kids would like the clay and seniors would like seed they could see. It never happened but there will be other springs, unless I am more senior than I think.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Charles_connecticut

how about through an art supply catalogue, or a school supply catalogue, or an arts and crafts shop?

Bookmark   August 25, 2001 at 3:08PM
imasoilman

Try the clay that's available. You might find it works. This is the Garden Experiments Forum after all.

Bookmark   August 26, 2001 at 1:31AM
a_richard_d_enfused_com

The "clay", for want of something to call it, that is avaible has so much salt or "alkali" or boron or something that precious little will grow in or near it. Local stuff is out.

I once got refered to a lipidary shop on line but they would never answer the question "Do you have dry red clay?" Does anyone have any links?

Bookmark   September 23, 2001 at 3:08PM
KAYGARDENER(BAY AREA--CALIF)

TRY THE "REBECCA'S GARDEN" WEBSITE... SHE HAD A SEGMENT ONCE ON HER SHOW, WHERE THE KIDS MADE CLAY PELLETS OF WILDFLOWER SEEDS & THEN WERE GOING TO SCATTER THEM TO REPLANT A WILD MEADOW... THE CLAY WOULD DISSOLVE IN THE RAINS & THEN THE NEW PLANTS WOULD START UP... GOOD GARDENING TO YOU,K.

Bookmark   January 30, 2003 at 2:54AM
mycarbumps(Zone 6b E.TN)

anyone who lives in east TN can tell you about Red Clay, that is all we have here for soil. send me a box and about $400 for the return postage (this stuff is HEAVY) and i will send you all the red clay you want (100% organic!) LOL we dont WANT it here, im glad you can find a use for it! ~Ryan

Bookmark   February 19, 2003 at 8:45PM
hoehum(z6 PA)

LOL! I was thinking the same thing, mycarbumps! My son has red clay. Don't know about it dissolving in the rain, though. I brought a chunk back home with me and put it in the garden. It took 2 years to shrink to half. It WAS a fairly big chunk. Pellets would dissolve more quickly.

Bookmark   March 1, 2003 at 5:44PM
Nurmey(5 Omaha, NE)

You can buy dry red clay at the beauty section of a health food store. You mix it with water and use it as a face mask.

The kind I have is Morrocan Red Clay and consists of naturally occuring Dolomite, sillica, ferric oxide, and mineral oxides.

Bookmark   March 11, 2003 at 12:12AM
More Discussions
Plants that Love Iron/Plants and Furnace Water
My parents furnace has to periodically drained of rusty...
edlincoln
Human vitamins for plants
I read on here that someone uses vitamins dissolved...
tony_k_orlando
Changes in Flowering Time
Hello! I'm a postdoc at Harvard, studying flowering...
curiousmachine
covering bare areas
What can I plant to cover bare areas around plants,...
isaiah6624
when and how to plant lupine seeds
I hope I'm in the right spot but I've been trying to...
nicolero21
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™