Plumbago and Firespike freeze damage

natal(Louisiana 8b)February 21, 2010

I'm seeing new growth on a number of tropicals that were damaged in our hard freezes, but so far not a sign of life on the plumbagos or firespikes. I know it's still early, just wondering what are the chances they didn't survive?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

Both should come back but the Plumbago will be very slow and probably not get back to the original size it was going into winter.

Steve

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 4:41PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Thanks Steve. Most of the plumbago were going to need some serious pruning anyway. I guess Mother Nature saw to it that I wouldn't forget.

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 5:44PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Two of the four plumbago are coming back. No sign of life on the firespike. I have a feeling they may be goners. :(

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 7:44PM
wodka

Natal - aren't you loving our beautiful springtime? I just bought and planted my first plumbago yesterday. Am so happy that yours came back after our cold (for us) winter! I'm hoping mine will grow happily here. I have never really had a touch of blue in my beds, but the plumbago really is pretty here.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 7:40AM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Wodka, yes I am! I'm even happier that the pollen is done falling. Now to get out the power washer.

I love the cool feeling that blue brings to the garden ... especially with our heat.

Oh, and looks like I spoke to soon on the firespike. I think about 3/4 of my plants have begun to put out new growth. That was a pleasant surprise!

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 12:14PM
wodka

I had to google "firespike", since I didn't know what it was - what a pretty shrub! Glad that yours are making a comeback.

I bought several more plumbagos yesterday and planted them against our black iron fence (which already has confederate jasmine on it.) I can't wait for it to really take off.

Yesterday I also had a little surprise - the snapdragons that I planted in the fall and forgot about, figured they just didn't take, are just now budding out?! I don't even remember what kind or color they were?

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 4:51PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I planted snapdragons along with pansies, violas, and dianthus in the fall. Everything except the snaps bloomed all winter. The snaps just sat there until a few weeks ago when they burst open with blooms. I wonder if it was our colder than normal winter that made them hibernate?

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 5:40PM
wodka

Natal, I agree with you that our cold winter might have influenced our snapdragons. I can't wait to see them bloom, they are one of my favorites.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 9:08AM
More Discussions
Beets and Chard are Falling Over
Hello All, I've noticed recently that my beets and...
jshphoto
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
South Louisiana Blueberries
Anyone growing blueberries in the ground in South Louisiana?...
pharmachad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™