Mme Emile Mouillere

macgyver2009September 14, 2009

Is it possible to grow this plant and get flowering in zone 5/6 without extensive winter protection. I see some sites list it as zone 5. I searched through old posts, but did not see any discussion about her hardiness. It is such a beautiful hydrangea. I would love to put one in next spring. If not, is Blushing Bride a good alternative in this zone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ditas

Hi macgyver - BB is my favorite of the 3 ES siblings I have ... a reliable bloomer, as upright as Forever & Ever due to thicker canes & the gradual color changes from mid-Aug into Fall is absolutely awesome ... final stage is deep burgundy!!!

I don't own MEM to judge & compare.

Bookmark   September 14, 2009 at 8:33PM
gardengal48

'Mme. Emile Mouillere' may very well be root hardy to zone 5 but is highly unlikely to be bud hardy in that zone without winter protection. It is one of my favorite selections and a very heavily blooming white mop that developes a rather distinctive bright blue eye. It may be worth going through the effort :-)

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 9:56AM
EGO45(6bCT)

Identical by hardiness to MEM, Sister Teresa is NOT a reliable bloomer in 6b. I highly doubt that MEM will be blooming in z5 without serious protection.
I guess that would leave Blushing Bride as the only choice for white mac for z5.

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 11:58AM
macgyver2009

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll go with BB to stay on the safe side. I am also trying a couple of serratas recommended here for better hardiness. We'll see next spring! I moved from 6b last summer and still can't accept that 60 miles difference significantly limits my hydrangea selection. Thank goodness for the rebloomers and the paniculatas.

Bookmark   September 16, 2009 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
Oakleaf Hydrangeas and Late Freezes
I will be planting a Snow Queen Oakleaf Hydrangea and...
samnsarah
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™