Best trees for containers?

luckyone711(9a)February 10, 2012

Does anyone have suggestions about a good tree to plant in a large (approx. 3' diameter by 4' tall) container? I would need it to shade my deck, which receives afternoon sun and gets VERY hot in August in south Louisiana! The deck is surrounded by concrete down by a river. I thought about a nice palm but have been having second thoughts considering we have had some pretty cold winters before this past one. Thanks for any advice...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

I hate that you haven't gotten an answer, so I'll give it a try. I really am not experienced with growing Trees in containers. Some thoughts would be dwarf citrus, dwarf crape myrtles (might be too messy on a deck), Little Gem magnolia. Possibly a large shrub which can also be considered a tree, like camellia (but might be too sunny for that) or tea olive. Some palms are winter hardy but I don't know which ones. Your best bet might be to contact your local nurseryman (not the big box garden centers) for ideas.
Laurie (lived most of my life in 9b)

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 10:31AM
luckyone711(9a)

Thank you so much, Laurie. I was just hoping I would find someone who could give me an actual success story. :-]

I do like the idea of the magnolia. I thought the same thing about the crepe myrtle - too much mess. I'll make the rounds of the nurseries and see if they have any suggestions.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 6:01PM
Grammyof3JoAnn(9)

I had a little gem magnolia tree in a 24" clay pot just off the side of a low deck for years. It did great. Decided to plant it in the ground so that it would get bigger. It stayed about 8' tall in the pot.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 9:34AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Try the Florida Gardening forum. Tons of people in Zone 9b and lots of traffic on the forum.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
Weed Control New Lawn
Hello! I planted a centipede lawn from seed at the...
BrittWave1
Looking for Gardeners in the NE
Looking for gardeners that live in Northeast Louisiana,...
sebastian
ID'ing Lawn weeds
Wasn't sure if this were better posted in Louisiana/Missisppi...
gooup
Night blooming jasmine TREE
not a vine but tree. does anyone have any information...
energy_rater_la
When to seed new lawn with Centipede?
We had our new house lot graded with fresh dirt in...
skb3_br
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™