Pole beans

julieann_growFebruary 28, 2006

How many pounds of beans should I expect to get from one pole bean plant, like Scarlett Runner? And, for how many weeks will it produce? I have good soil and lots of sun.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cgenecren

Most people who plant pole beans plant a "row" of them. One cannot expect to get several pounds of beans from one plant as one would from tomatoes. With good fertilization, water, freedom from pests one should expect to harvest for 3-4 weeks, but only a hand full at a time from one plant.

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 11:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beesnfruit(z8b LA USA)

I never got good yields on pole beans with several varieties I tried. Finally, a friend gave me some local seed of Rattlesnake (?) pole beans. They are great. The plants are very vigorous, very productive, and produce over a long time - about 1 month of very high production and then 1-2 more months of declining production. The beans are large and purple striped. The only downside is the pods are not completely stringless, especially if they hold on the plant. I have seen the seeds in local hardware, feed, and garden stores that deal with more local varieties that they buy in bulk and repackage.

Bookmark   March 3, 2006 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
Full Sun Shrubs
I have tried two years in a row to get some shrubs...
daviddsims
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
blueberry or blackberry ? (or muscadine?)
hi all i am in Southern Louisiana, outside of NOLA i...
greenman62
Anyone grow Almonds or English Walnuts?
I am near Baton Rouge, and thinking of planting some...
mmckey2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™