Pole beans

julieann_growFebruary 28, 2006

How many pounds of beans should I expect to get from one pole bean plant, like Scarlett Runner? And, for how many weeks will it produce? I have good soil and lots of sun.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cgenecren

Most people who plant pole beans plant a "row" of them. One cannot expect to get several pounds of beans from one plant as one would from tomatoes. With good fertilization, water, freedom from pests one should expect to harvest for 3-4 weeks, but only a hand full at a time from one plant.

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 11:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beesnfruit(z8b LA USA)

I never got good yields on pole beans with several varieties I tried. Finally, a friend gave me some local seed of Rattlesnake (?) pole beans. They are great. The plants are very vigorous, very productive, and produce over a long time - about 1 month of very high production and then 1-2 more months of declining production. The beans are large and purple striped. The only downside is the pods are not completely stringless, especially if they hold on the plant. I have seen the seeds in local hardware, feed, and garden stores that deal with more local varieties that they buy in bulk and repackage.

Bookmark   March 3, 2006 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
Full Sun Shrubs
I have tried two years in a row to get some shrubs...
daviddsims
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Jacaranda Mimosifolia
Anyone in south Louisiana growing this tree in the...
lac1361
ID'ing Lawn weeds
Wasn't sure if this were better posted in Louisiana/Missisppi...
gooup
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™