Siberian Iris in Pots ?

zooba72May 10, 2014

Hello Everyone,

I have two questions ... I've read that Siberian Iris can survive in pots. Is that true? I'm in zone 7, Long Island, NY and we had a tough winter. Has anyone been successful growing them in pots? I have a number of concrete containers that I'm looking to fill with a perennial.

My Second question is dependent upon whether the 1st question is possible. I was curious if they will survive in pots, can I transplant them now? (Early/Mid May)?

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cecily(7 VA)

I have several growing in the foam type of pots in the northern Virginia/DC area and they overwintered fine. Our low temps were in the single digits this year.
I'd wait until after they bloom to transplant them

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 8:07AM
OldDutch(4)

Siberians can be grown in pots. I have grown them in pots and in the ground both with no problems here Minneapolis. For pots good drainage and plenty of water for Siberians. Normal division is recommended for August/September, but they are not really all that fussy.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 12:23PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Taken from The Society for Siberian Irises . . . . . . . .

COLD CLIMATES: Spring is the best time to plant or divide, with August as second choice. This gives the plant a chance to establish a good root system before winter rolls in. WARM CLIMATES: Avoid the hot weather periods; many prefer the cooler fall period.

The depth of your container is important. I didn't see that but assume 16 inches is a good minimum.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.socsib.org/ssicult.htm

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:12PM
zooba72

Thanks Everyone for the responses. The depth of the containers might be a problem. They're probably around 12" deep. I'm considering burying them a bit or covering them with a heavy mulch prior to the winter. Again, thanks for the info.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 10:12PM
OldDutch(4)

COLD CLIMATES zone 4 in Minnesota qualifies. I have been growing Siberians for some decades here, mostly in the ground, but back when I was selling perennials, I wintered them in 6" pots pretty successfully. I also successfully divided them both in the spring and in late summer, early autumn. What I did was essentially bury the pots and then mulch them, which should work for zone 7 since it worked just fine for temperatures below -20 F here. It doesn't work so well here for the Japanese irises, since they are quite a bit less hardy. The two types are sometimes confused, which is why I mentioned them.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 6:15PM
More Discussions
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
LA Irises
Started with 4 Iris Bulbs about 4 yrs. ago - noticed...
George Indel
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™