hydrangea still growing

gardenapprenticeSeptember 27, 2013

well its fall, im in the south eastern tenessee part and my hydrangeas are still growing and giving off new growth im worried anyone else experience this

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

It may be normal. Mine have some new growth, not much though. Looks like they are winding down. Over here, they do not go dormant until November-December. Eventually, less sunlight and colder temperatures will let them know to cut it down and that it is time to go to bed.

To make sure that the shrub will actually respond like that, it is good habit to quit fertilizing around July or so. If, for example, I were to apply to apply a slow-release fertilizer in September, all that nitrogen might keep it in growth mode for a while though, as those fertilizers last about 2-3 months. And if one uses some of those high nitrogen Miracle Gro fertilizers often, that can confuse the plant and keep it too "active". So, I try to stop all the fertilizers, liquid seaweed, liquid fish and coffee grounds sometime in early July for hydrangeas planted in the ground. For those in pots, you could switch to low nitrogen and higher phosphorous/potassium fertilizers in July and sprinkle some micronutrients with liquid seaweed or liquid fish.

A single fertilizer application in Spring will usually do fine for most of the whole year if the plant is planted in the ground and the soil has no mineral problems. Examples of fertilizers are cottonseed meal, compost and composted manure. A half a cup to one cup of them will work for a newly planted hydrangea. A general purpose slow-release chemical fertilizer like Osmocote 10-10-10 will also work.

By the way, now would also be a good time to check on mulch levels and add more if you have less than 3-4".

Luis

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 6:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
springwood_gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

Tennessee is one of the prime locations in the US to grow hydrangea of any type. Simply cut spent blooms off and watch the show!

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
sally6340
Should I prune this hydrangea?
It came in a small 4" pot. I have transplanted...
cakbu z9 CA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™