Do I need more than one Annabelle?

vpeterson(4)September 22, 2013

I bought an Annabelle today (50%) off. There were three more there (Annabelles) that I didn't get. I am wondering if I should go back and get a couple more so that they can support themselves or should I wait until next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Yes, you could do like a hedge and help them support themselves but even at the beginning you may need to put some chicken wire to provide support. Since many times, rain that accumulates on the blooms is the culprit, a location where they get some protection from rain will help. That is what helps protect lone Annabelle. Now, the advantage of buying more is they all together can help each other is done like a hedge and, aesthethically, buying them all now, means that their height/width may now be in sync with each other. But if you wait until Spring, the new ones may be not as tall or not as wide as the one you just bought and well, -depending on your tastes- that may bother some people. Not a big deal to me and easy to fix but... I know some gardeners who would get bothered by something like that. The ones sold now also tend to have some discount or lower price but new ones in Spring will not.

This post was edited by luis_pr on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 5:28

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 9:02PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

My Annabelles spread quickly--which means I can dig up a good clump (with some rootball) and plant it, watering it in well. In a couple years time, they will both be the same size--ht and width.

Cheap way to do it.

Kate

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 8:19AM
sunnytop

I started with one start from a friend. I now have a thick bush 4 foot wide and tall. They multiply very well and in our zones they die to the ground every winter and regrow with brand new shoots each year. No worry about varying hts. Last 2 winters we did have zone 6 type winter, and mine did not quite die to the ground but still no height variation. Hydrangeas winter differently further south.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™