Jack of Diamonds

paul_in_mn(4b)June 12, 2012

It took a few years (planted 08) to crank up and get going. Last year it looked good, but the leaf size and margins took another step this year. Growing in some sun thru early afternoon. MyHostas.BE notes it is a sieboldiana hybrid, but considerably smaller than 'Elegans', 'Francis Williams'.....non-burning, strong gold margin.

Jack of Diamonds

Thanks for looking. Hope you'll share your pics.

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coll_123(5)

Paul, do you (or anyone else here) know what distinguishes Jack of Diamonds from Tokudama Flavocircinalis? Both, I believed are described as looking similar to Frances Williams but smaller (and without the dreadful desiccation). Despite having two Tok. F's I found myself purchasing Jack of Diamonds a few years ago. I'm trying to figure out if I need to keep it around if visually it's going to be practically identical to Tok. F. I guess I bought it thinking it would be noticeably smaller than Tok F...but I don't really know. My Tok F's started with small margins but widened with age- don't you love when that happens.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 1:59PM
jan_on zone 5b

Paul - what are the 'plain greens' keeping Jack company, and what is the variegated plant on the lower left?
Jan

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 6:44PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I also think it looks a lot like a Tokudama. What's the growth rate.

Steve

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 6:52PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

coll_123, I don't know how much they differ. These colors and also blue with green are my favorite hosta color combinations - so having one more is not a problem in my garden.

Jan, to left is plantaginea, to the right is Diva and in front is Artemisia - green, white and yellow splashes of color. It started out behind plantaginea and JOD, but it migrated front and center over the past 2 years. I think it was purchased at a garden club plant sale, which suggests to me that it is easy to grow.

Paul

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 7:05PM
coll_123(5)

Paul, the blue with the chartreuse edge is my very favorite combo- which is certainly why I did buy Jack of Diamonds. Don't even ask me why I have two Tok. F's...see, I can't resist that combo. I think I am going to keep my Jack and plant it next to LAkeside Beach Captain.

What I REALLY wanted was a mini Frances Williams lookalike- something very small- say 18" wide, dense mound, with thick leaves and that color combo. Tropical Storm is the closest thing I've found but it's not quite right.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Zinc plant markers
Is this what everyone is using? I saw 100 for sale...
CindyCRNA
potted hostas starting too early
Hi. I usually have my potted hostas in the garage (no...
esikko
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™