looking for local source of native azaleas

kchd(7b/8a MS)March 1, 2012

Hi,

Does anyone know of any sources for native azaleas (seeds or plants) in the Mississippi or Louisiana area? I have a hard time finding Native American species at any local nurseries. I would prefer to buy plants from a nursery to avoid paying shipping charges.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WildfireMike

Where are you in Ms.? I just saw some at a local nursery in Picayune.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 3:35PM
kchd(7b/8a MS)

I am in Oktibbeha Co. up near MSU. Not very close to Picayune. My hometown is Baton Rouge though, so maybe I can swing by a nursery this spring while traveling down to Louisiana. Thanks for the heads up.

Any other info from LA\MS gardeners would be much appreciated, too.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 4:13PM
lee1990(8)

I think your best bet would be to contact your counties extenision service or MSU itself. Both should have recommendations on where to obtain native species. MSU proably has seasonal plants sales itself. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 5:35PM
Grammyof3JoAnn(9)

I just bought a yellow one at Cleggs Nursery. They also had pink.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 8:54AM
NanaDeb50(8A)

Did you ever find what you were looking for? I found an online source that has reasonable prices. Shadygardensnursery.com

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 9:07PM
kchd(7b/8a MS)

Thanks to all who have posted. I did find 2 online sources in the SE US. Perhaps Cleggs will still have some when I visit BRLA next. Would love to find some seed sources for native azaleas, but haven't had luck with that yet. The Azalea Society mostly has non-natives or hybrids....

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 12:04AM
Bayou_Butterfly

Dodd & Dodd developed the Confederate Series of native azaleas years ago. The nursery where I worked carried them. Gorgeous. Contact them to see where they are carried these days. http://www.doddnatives.com/dndnursery.htm

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 4:42AM
Bayou_Butterfly

Hilltop Arboretum often carries native azaleas at their plant sales, too. http://appl015.lsu.edu/hilltop/hilltop.nsf/$Content/Programs?OpenDocument

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 4:46AM
plan9fromposhmadison(8A Madison Mississippi)

Great information, guys! Now that we're back from Oregon, this is just what I needed, to get started. I like the colors of our natives much better than those of the Indicas.

By the way... Is it really wise to mass Azaleas? I want to add masses of them against the inner perimeter fence, but don't want to create some sort of dangerous monocrop disease-risk situation.

Are our natives more prone to disease?

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 3:46PM
RedSanders(9a Lk. Charles)

Don't know if you want to make the drive, but there are a TON of very large commercial and retail nurseries in the Forest Hill area, south of Alexandria, Louisiana on Hwy. 165. I know a number of them stock a variety of azaleas in various sizes. Don't know about availability of seeds.

See the gardenguides page for an extensive list and links to the web site for many of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Hill, Louisiana Nurseries & Garden Centers

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 10:45AM
Castlecorbeau(8b)

Azalea seed? I've always wondered about that - with all those flowers, where are the seeds? But my mom just propagated them by laying a branch, still connected to the bush, in loose dirt and putting a rock on top of it. Once it grows good roots, cut it off, and there you go - a free azalea. And I see them planted in huge clusters everywhere down here in southern MS; never noticed signs of disease on the natives. Some of them are ten feet tall, at least, in an enormous mass. I'd think you'd be safe planting them that way as long as you give them lots of room. Of course, this late, you've already got them planted, I'm guessing. :)

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 5:59PM
poaky1

Rarefind nursery in New Jersey has mostly Rhod and Azaleas. Check out online, Rarefind nurseries.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 10:36PM
poaky1

Sorry, you said local.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
Ligularia
I live in North Louisiana (zone 8a). I would like to...
savannaht
Looking for Gardeners in the NE
Looking for gardeners that live in Northeast Louisiana,...
sebastian
ID'ing Lawn weeds
Wasn't sure if this were better posted in Louisiana/Missisppi...
gooup
How to get rid of elephant ears?
I know these can be really nice plants(and I'm sure...
Gumbo
Do your snaps bloom in winter?
Hi, folks. It's pansy planting time here, and as I...
donnabaskets
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™