Next Year

jbranch(7B Alabama)September 9, 2008

Now that we are getting towards the end of the growing season, I am thinking about next year and a problem I have had the last two years is a late frost that hurts my hydrangeas. This year, they bloomed very little, and I am sure it is from the late cold snap we had (actually had two). What should I do to protect them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alexis717_df

You might try running a search for Winterizing. That's what I did and found some very helpful information from Hayseedman.

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 1:21PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

It surprises me you have had trouble with late frost damage. I don't ever remember experiencing that. Many of my hydrangeas are near brick walls, or, of course, under trees. Maybe that explains it. If all else fails, plant Endless Summer and Blushing Bride. They bloom on old and new growth.

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 9:57PM
jbranch(7B Alabama)

Donnabaskets, it happens, believe me. I have been reading some articles on Fine Gardening's website (links below) that indicate the effect of a late frost on hydrangea blooms. I am interested in what remedies have been used by GardenWeb members.

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/design/articles/bigleaf-hydrangeas.aspx

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/how-to/articles/shelter-plants-from-winters-worst.aspx

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
where to order hydrangea?
Hi, I want to get Zinfin Doll and Bloomstruck hydrangea...
Brooks23
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Container size for hydrangea
I have a landscape plan made for my yard by a pro who...
cakbu
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™