nandinas & pyracanthas

kittyjhg(Zone 7)March 11, 2008

Want to plant a living privacy screen between my yard and neighbors. Love nandinas & pyracanthas and would like to plant both-maybe in groups of three or alternating or...? Anyone ever done this? Do they both grow about the same height at the same rate? Live in upper middle mississippi.

Thanks ya'll, Jeanette from Mississippi

"The kiss of sun for pardon, The song of the birds for mirth, One is nearer God's Heart in a garden Than anywhere else on earth"

Dorothy Frances Gurney

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

There are several different nandinas, as you probably know, you would want the tall ones for a privacy hedge. In my experience, they are fairly slow growing. I think pyracantha grows faster and gets taller, as I've seen it grown like a climber on a wall or trellis. Also beware of the thorns on the pyracantha that I understand really hurt ("firethorn").

Bookmark   March 12, 2008 at 12:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brhgm(z8b LA)

I wouldn't do it that way. Nandina is slow to establish, but usually takes over after a while. Pyracantha makes a great cover for fences and an impenetrable barrier too. If you want really fast and thorny go with Cherokee Rose. It needs no care either.

Bookmark   March 12, 2008 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
ID'ing Lawn weeds
Wasn't sure if this were better posted in Louisiana/Missisppi...
gooup
Do your snaps bloom in winter?
Hi, folks. It's pansy planting time here, and as I...
donnabaskets
Northeast Mississippi Gardeners
Anyone here from Booneville/Tupelo area ? Jenkins
Jenkins
Ligularia
I live in North Louisiana (zone 8a). I would like to...
savannaht
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™