Cascading/Trailing Plant ideas

daveandlaura(8b-S. Louisiana)March 15, 2005

Tried this basic question on another forum and will try to make it a bit more focused here and see if y'all have any ideas to throw at me.

I'm looking for a cascading/trailing plant that will work in a New Orleans courtyard setting. The courtyard has brick planters and I'd like something that will grow down out of them in a few places. Ideally I'd like some interesting leaves (variegated or something besides "plain" green). Colorful flowers are an option also, but too many flowers and the bees get too happy!

Django responded to my other post and suggested trailing lantana. Right now there is some asparagus fern, but I'm going to pull it out because it just gets to looking too messy, in my opinion.

Thanks for any ideas!

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mbmberg(8B LA)

What about variegated english ivy. I used that in a Clay urn and it is really striking.

Another option would be sweet potato vine. If you want something with flowers ~ million bells are really pretty.

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 5:11PM
deep_south_gardener(z9b)

Hey Dave and Laura,
I'm on the westbank, and just planted some trailing
vinca. Vinca "illuminatin". The leaves are small yellow,
edged in dark green. My first time planting it. I purchased
it at Rose Garden Center on the Westbank Expressway
in Marrero. I'm sure they probably have it somewhere on
the eastbank as well. Good luck.

Brenda
Harvey

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 9:50PM
angiebug(z8a LA)

Assuming that you have shade in the courtyard and not sun, I'd suggest dead nettle. It spreads very rapidly, as I found out when I planted it in a container last year. Within just a couple of months, it was trailing over the edge of the barrel and down to the ground. My variety had small pretty purple blooms on it. The leaves were pale green with some white around the edges...a very soft look.

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 10:22PM
hoppes_girl(z8 LA.)

Oh,I live in Paulina and it is worth the trip to the Rose garden Center in Harvey I make my trip there every year.There are always new plants to be seen and old reliables too.Its still to cold for my anual trip but I'll be making it soon.Heres an idea try planting some oregano for a trailer and you can use it for cooking also,It trails nicely in my barrel planter.

Bookmark   March 16, 2005 at 5:24PM
southern_bell_la(z8 LA)

i suggest trailing homestead verbena. i bought a small clump last summer and it mulitplied quickly and is in bloom right now and to hear tell it should bloom all summer. it has a nice cascading affect and the foliage is also tinged with purple around the edges

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 9:06AM
daveandlaura(8b-S. Louisiana)

Thanks everybody!

In one spot I think I may go with the Marguerite sweet potato vine cascading down over a Persian Shield growing up.

There are three or four other areas that I have to decide on, too. Decision decisions . . .

Dave

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Full Sun Shrubs
I have tried two years in a row to get some shrubs...
daviddsims
Night blooming jasmine TREE
not a vine but tree. does anyone have any information...
energy_rater_la
Trying to find a user in Mississippi...
I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post...
queenb
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™