Morning glories in Windowbox (pics)

njcher(Zone 6)September 21, 2003

I wondered what the effect would be of morning glories in a windowbox. Would they grow up? Would they fall gracefully over the edges of the box? Would they yield many blooms or just a few?

The answer is that they make a very nice windowbox planting and would be a particularly good choice for someone who has a view out a window of which they are not fond. The MGs will cover the bottom half of a window and will even crawl off to the sides of the window, which makes for a pretty effect.

The number of blooms are a fair amount. I put in a couple tropical plants for variety.

I put a few strings across the window horizontally to let the vines fall over. This lends a graceful, flowing effect.

They do need a lot of water and don't seem to like the hot sun. They will wilt in direct sun so I put a plant cover over them during those few hours of the day. I always make sure there is plenty of water. If I were doing this over again, I'd add those water retention crystals (name of them slips my mind at the moment).

In all, I was very pleased with my morning glories in a window box.

Cher

Here is a link that might be useful: Three pictures of morning glories in window box

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vmperkins(z5 central IL)

Very nice experiment results. I never even considered doing boxed MGs, but now I will try it next year. Thanks for the pics!

Bookmark   September 22, 2003 at 9:21PM
un_spiked

Thanks for the pictures! I'm trying something similar.

Yes, I realize I'm nearly 5 years late. The acoustics in here ...

Bookmark   May 16, 2008 at 10:39AM
sweetpea_410(z3-4)

This year I planted my morning glories in front of the wood pile next to my porch in a tiny strip of a garden bed with the hopes that they would grow up the pile. THis didn't work out so well, and the plants ended up growing basically horizontally, choking out alot of bedding plants. Next year I will plant them in window boxes set on top of the pile instead so that they will cascade down the wood pile. After having seen your pics, I know that this is a good idea, and am certain of successful results! Great job!

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 4:46PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Morning Glories remind me of my childhood. I would love to grow some. Thanks for your info that they don't like hot sun. I live in one of the hottest places on the earth! This will be a challenge! I wonder if they will climb up a palm tree? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm A packet of seeds is pretty cheap. Worth a try!!

I'll try in my courtyard (right next to my sunflower experiment) away from the probing eyes of the dreaded Home Owner's Association (HOA).

I like the blue ones. And nice to know they like a lot of water. The HOA waters frequently, and I have areas that never dry out.

Bookmark   December 10, 2008 at 1:15PM
Tennessee(z7TN)

Has anyone ever tried making a small playhouse with MGs? I saw it once in a Martha Steward magazine & tried it. It's a good idea for small children to play in. You do a basic house frame & plant MGs around the perimeter & they will grow & cover where the walls would be. I used big twigs for the corners & strung heavy twine for the mgs to grow up on.

Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 1:18AM
More Discussions
covering a mound
I have a mound, possibly 35 feet across, and 6 foot...
isaiah6624
Planting Fig tree cuttings under boulders
This is my new experiment. Our acreage is studded with...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Alkaline Water
I read an article (from a company that makes alkaline...
hardeng
Growing vegetables in part shade?
Have any of you experimented with growing veges in...
Stephen1
Garden Art Sculpture
Hello! It's my first time here and I have no experience...
chloelee
Sponsored Products
Bodega Ceiling Fan with Optional Light by Period Arts Fan Company
$360.00 | Lumens
Capresso CoffeeTEAM TS Coffee Maker Burr Grinder Combo - 465.05
$191.28 | Hayneedle
Quilted Classic Handbag Mug
$7.99 | zulily
Rain Downpour Round Showerhead
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
Kalora Manika Morning Beach Rug-7056A 160230
Beyond Stores