Lava Rock Gardens

nahanahe(Hawaii)October 24, 2008

Hello all!

I have begun researching for a very interesting project, and am desperately in need of advice.

There is a minority community living in poverty not far from my home in Kona Hawaii, and I and several others have decided to start a beautification project in their community. The goal is to start a few gardens in the area, vegetables, fruits, etc, and inspire the community to continue the project for themselves long term. Here is the difficulty.

The community is in ocean view on the South point of the island, and is almost entirely lava rock. So far I've discovered that palm trees are successful to break up the rock and I'm hoping that with addition of good soils, the gardens will flourish. I am, however, not sure how to start, what to plant, what problems will arise with the current soils, or any other ways to break down the lava rock without damaging the land.

HELP!!!!!

Any ideas or information, helpful web sites etc would be most appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nandina(8b)

Do a search for "keyhole gardens + africa". Spend some time reading how to construct and grow in them. They could be easily built of lava rock and are a very efficient method of growing food crops in adverse situations.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
Chili gardening from bottles to ground spacing.
I dug holes 10'' deep with buld planting shovel, fill...
ollo
The cornmeal experiment
I tried using cornmeal this season on my tomatoes and...
aiaral
covering bare areas
What can I plant to cover bare areas around plants,...
isaiah6624
Garden Art Sculpture
Hello! It's my first time here and I have no experience...
chloelee
2015 Planned Experiment w/Epsom Salt
I have seen so many blog sites rave about the use of...
kathleen57
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™