White Diamonds

wildhavenSeptember 2, 2013

Hi, everyone!

I found quite a few White Diamonds hydrangeas marked down to $3 each at Home Depot today, so brought two home with me. I'm new to growing hydrangeas, but did do some research on them when I decided to have them as part of the landscaping in my new garden. I hadn't seen White Diamonds mentioned during that research, and have come up with little otherwise. Is anyone growing these? Any advice, comments, pictures to share?

Home Depot also had Incrediball marked down to $3 each, but the plants didn't look all that great so I decided to pass on them. I might just keep stalking them to see if they reduce the price on the Endless Summer variety...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

You are so lucky. No hydrangea sales in my neck of the woods (too hot).

I have not seen any recent problems/complaints about this Dirr introduction so treat it as you would any paniculata. It can handle full sun but should you be able to provide a sliver of shade during the hottest part of the summer days, it would be appreciated. Morning sun and afternoon shade would be fine as well. It and Incrediball are hardy to Z5. ES is advertised as hardy in your zone too but a lot of people complain about blooming problems in Z5 so maybe try one ES plant (as opposed to a bunch for a hedge) to first see how it works for you.

Provide water frequently enough to prevent periods of dry soil, followed by periods of moist soil and back to dry soil again. No need to fertilize this year. The potting medium probably contains those round fertilizer pellets and they will last until 2014. Fertilize in Spring with 1/2 to 1 cup of compost, composted manure or cottonseed meal. And keep it well muched year around (3-4"). Water early in the mornings (1 gallon in Spring; mopre in the summer). Water only the soil not the leaves. Water from the root ball outwards, as there are not yet many roots far away from the base.

Enjoy those sales, wildhaven.
Luis

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 6:54AM
More Discussions
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Limelight and Quick Fire make great companions!
I love how the lime blooms of my Limelight go with...
ostrich
Hydrangea buds are rotting or being eaten in the center!
Even though it was raining when I took this photo,...
katyashydrangea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™