hosta supplier

sweetpea_2006April 25, 2006

Hi, I live in northeast Louisiana, 60 miles from Monroe. I am searching for a hosta grower that is located in the vacinity of Monroe. Does anyone know the name and location of that nursery? OR could someone suggest a supplier for hosta? Thanks, Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisa455(z9 LA)

Since no one has answered from North Louisiana, I'll tell you what I know. I grow a few hostas in clay pots. They do not do well in the ground where I am (I know you are colder). The extra chill from being above ground seems to help. I have had success with the Patriot hosta, they have returned in their pots for several years. They also need to be dry in the winter. The Patriot offspring and ancestors are also good. I ordered some but don't recall the names. I think one of the names was Pilgrim. I researched before selecting hosta and then mailordered from reputable companies. I know the blue are the least heat friendly. There are some websites that list good hostas for Texas, which might work for you. I think Guacamole is a good one. Also, try the hosta forum here. Finally, Plant Delights is an online source for hostas. You might be able to find some varieties cheaper, but it is a good source with a lot of varieties. I ordered a few hostas from Paradise Garden, which is affiliated with Oakes Daylilies, another very good company, and I was very satisfied with the condition of the plants.

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 4:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

One of the good things about Plant Delights is they do a lot of research about hardiness and tell you which of their hostas will do well this far south. Much appreciated information.

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
Full Sun Shrubs
I have tried two years in a row to get some shrubs...
daviddsims
Ligularia
I live in North Louisiana (zone 8a). I would like to...
savannaht
Weed Control New Lawn
Hello! I planted a centipede lawn from seed at the...
BrittWave1
looking for local source of native azaleas
Hi, Does anyone know of any sources for native azaleas...
kchd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™