Blue Mophead Hydrangea turned purple?

gardenbug(8b)October 31, 2013

I'm just curious, normally after the blooms fade on my blue mophead they turn a brown color in the fall. However this fall they have turned a gorgeous deep purple color. What could cause this? I haven't ammended the soil. Could it be the barkmulch? My soil is acidic and not alkaline. I'm not complaining because I love the color, I'm just wondering what could have occurred for the color to change to purple in the fall? Any ideas? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Lack of moisture could make the plant abort the blooms and make them turn brown; so could a fungal infection called Botrytis Blight (the sepals would look water soaked and eventually be covered with mold though). However, if the soil has been kept moist and there is no sign of fungal infection, it seems odd that they go from blue to brown. Usually, there are some other "colors" in between. Maybe various factors conspired to shorten the amt of time that it takes to get to brown. Meaning the progression from blue to brown included other colors but it happened faster than other times so you missed it. Weather, moisture, minerals in the soil... many things can affect these color changes and the times when they occur.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 2:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenbug(8b)

Hi luis, the blooms were a beautiful blue all summer (except for a few that got sun-scorched) We haven't had a lot of rain up until today but I've kept it watered. After the (blue) blooms faded, they simply turned purple. This has never happened before. So strange. You're probably right about other colors in between, as it was changing from blue to purple, I did noticed a variation of green, brown, pink. Thanks luis.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 3:32PM
More Discussions
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Endless Summer Hydrangea Wont Bloom
Hi. I have 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea's. This is the...
emba129
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™