Black Millet

mike_zufallNovember 5, 2002

Sorry if I'm asking a question on the wrong forum, however I don't seem to be having any luck on others.

I am trying to find someone who has had grown Black Millet. I discovered it this year grown in a very large pot. It resembles sort of a black corn with very large stalk like things in place of what would be corn. A beautiful plant with nice texture. I want to plant it in a border area with sunflowers in the spring.

Thanks,

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crumpet(SW)

Mike,
No, I haven't grown it, but noticed purple millet will be an All-American Selection for 2003. Since millet usually requires corn like growing conditions, I suspect water well, good soil, full direct sun.....especially so to develop the purple color. Personally, I wonder if the millet will be a reseeding problem..........providing the birds don't eat it all.

crumpet

Bookmark   November 8, 2002 at 6:05PM
trudyjean82(z8SWGA)

The only one I am familiar with is call Purple Majesty. Has a yellow spiked bloom on it. I planted some after seeing it at a trade show. T

Bookmark   November 26, 2002 at 9:44AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

There is a black broomcorn, a very tall sorghum, called Black Hungarian Broomcorn which I have grown. I'm not familiar with any black millet.

I grow a variety of sorghums and millets much as I grow sweet corn but with less concern with soil fertility. This year the plantings were devasted by maurauding birds and rodents...the drought left my small farm much like a green oasis in the district.

Bookmark   December 3, 2002 at 8:12PM
Pat(6b northern VA)

Mike,

I grew the millet last year after my husband found it being sold at our favorite nursery and had to have it. They were promoting it as a plant for combining with others in large containers, where I'm sure it would add wonderful color and interest. I placed my plant in my mixed perennial, daylily border and loved it. The foliage is purplish and the seed heads are black with purple seeds - a wonderful color contrast to my other perennials. For me, it was about 3' tall, perhaps even a bit less. I found a good picture and am providing a link.

I've seen pictures of the new Purple Majesty and it seems to me to be a larger and taller plant than the plain black millet. Where the Purple Majesy would make a bold statement along the lines of a large ornamental grass or tall canna, I think the black millet is probably better suited for me to grow with my daylilies and other perennials.

Here is a link that might be useful: black millet

Bookmark   January 26, 2003 at 9:15AM
KAYGARDENER(BAY AREA--CALIF)

DEAR DAYLILY,
YOUR PICTURE OF THE PURPLE MILLET WAS GORGEOUS! WOULD DUSTY MILLER OR LAMBS EARS ALSO GO W/ THE MILLET? GOOD GARDENING TO YOU.K

Bookmark   January 29, 2003 at 6:51PM
LINDAROSE36(z7GA)

Just a question:I ordered this black millet from some on line nursery but when it had grown, it's not purple at all. It's kind a black..Why is it?

Bookmark   September 28, 2003 at 2:11PM
    Bookmark   December 3, 2003 at 10:50PM
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

This past year the group working in the Ornamental grasses garden put in Black Millet. Here it is not hardy. What did you need to know?-Sandy

Bookmark   January 6, 2004 at 4:09AM
katydid1

I have heard of a variety called Texas black millet. It has, I understand, been grown as a field crop for milo maize for animals here in Texas. Don't know the nutrition levels, but may be very high. I plan on planting it this spring for my chickens and ducks, maybe for us to eat, also. Also called Texas black milo. Same thing. Blessings. Maybe it is decorative, too. Double purpose!

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Recycling a recycling container
...might be a garbage container. Whatever it is/was,...
browsercat
Diaper Experiment
I read on container gardening about using stuff out...
ILoveMySoldier
Plants that Love Iron/Plants and Furnace Water
My parents furnace has to periodically drained of rusty...
edlincoln
Growing vegetables in part shade?
Have any of you experimented with growing veges in...
Stephen1
gardening for fulfillment
I USED TO DO A LOT OF GARDENING that is until about...
campingfriends
Sponsored Products
Egg Inspired Chair with Available Ottoman-Black - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Paris Plans Pillow Cover in Black
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Ontarde Orcillard
$619.00 | FRONTGATE
Forged Leaves Five Arms Glass Chandelier by Hubbardton Forge
$790.00 | Lumens
Goya Frame
$14.99 | zulily