Grass in shady areas in Houma, LA

gooup(z9, LA)April 3, 2013

Is there any grass that will grow under the shade of Oak Trees in South Louisiana?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisner_gw wisner

It's hard to get grass to grow with a lot of shade. I've seen St Augustine grow ok under oak trees. You need to keep the leaves raked up and put some extra fertilizer for the grass. Also, water the grass if it gets dry since the tree roots will take up a lot of moisture.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 10:07PM
wally_1936(8b)

There are quite a few ground cover plants that seem to not mind the lack of water and nutrients in the soil around the base of some trees ivies, etc.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:21AM
bigoledude(SE Louisiana)

St. Augustine is pretty-much the most shade tolerant of the turf grasses. Growing grass under oak trees can be difficult for several reasons.

The heavy/thick canopy of the oaks creates a deep-shade underneath them. You can selectively trim some limbs from the canopy, without destroying the shape and beauty of the tree. This will allow more light through the canopy.

My friend grew a beautiful vegetable garden every year, under two very large beautiful Live Oaks. The vegetables got only about 3 hours of direct sunlight a day. The rest of the light was gained by thinning the canopy.

Oaks exude "tannins" that cause major problems for some plants. This is what was used for many years to "tan" animal hides with. Plants like Asian Jasmine seem to tolerate tannins just fine.

As was mentioned above, large trees of any type will use a lot of the nutrients and water available underneath themselves. You will have to provide extra feeding and watering to keep a nice lawn under oaks or any other trees.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 4:12AM
More Discussions
Avocats fiscalistes Canada
Deux ans plus tard, votre client vous appelle. Il est...
MichelCoderre1
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Northeast Mississippi Gardeners
Anyone here from Booneville/Tupelo area ? Jenkins
Jenkins
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
South Louisiana Blueberries
Anyone growing blueberries in the ground in South Louisiana?...
pharmachad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™