starting seeds in a cold frame

NigelleDecember 28, 2002

I have built a cold frame and would like to find out what kind of soil I need to use to start my seeds. I have heard that a mixture of soil, vermiculite and river sand is the best for starting seeds but I am having a hard time find ing vermiculite in the stores. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nandina(8b)

Nigelle,
I assume that you can purchase bags of potting soil in France. Any one of the available varieties should do the job for you. Read the labels carefully. You may find that vermiculite has been added to some of the potting soil mixes. But, vermiculite is not necessary for good germination of seedlings. Perlite can be substituted and is often found in the bagged mixes. Perlite is the small white plastic 'beads' that you have probably noticed in potted plants. If you are composting it would be wise to work some into your soil mix, also. Are you reading the 'Winter Sowing Forum'? All sorts of good tips and ideas to be found there.

Bookmark   December 30, 2002 at 7:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KAYGARDENER(BAY AREA--CALIF)

VERMICULITE & PERLITE ARE AMERICAN TERMS. DO YOU HAVE ACCESS TO ANY LIGHTWEIGHT, FINELY GROUND, PERHAPS EXPANDED VOLCANO PUMICE ROCK IN FRANCE? IT MIGHT MAKE AN OK SUBSTITUTE FOR YOUR GARDEN...TWO BOOKS BY USA AUTHORS MIGHT ALSO HELP W/IDEAS-- "WINTER GARDENING IN THE MARITIME PACIFIC NORTHWEST" BY BINDA COLEBROOK & "FOUR SEASON HARVEST" BY ELLIOT COLEMAN...GOOD GARDENING TO YOU.K

Bookmark   January 29, 2003 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
Changes in Flowering Time
Hello! I'm a postdoc at Harvard, studying flowering...
curiousmachine
gardening for fulfillment
I USED TO DO A LOT OF GARDENING that is until about...
campingfriends
Update #2 - Re: Using cornmeal as a plant fungicide
Hi, Many of you have been following the various postings...
nandina
Watering with algae
I was wondering if during my rainwater collection process...
Dansdan
Garden Art Sculpture
Hello! It's my first time here and I have no experience...
chloelee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™