Help! What did i buy?

Lilyfinch z7 mid tnOctober 9, 2009

I was at my local nusery, and picked up a Baby Grand Dwarf Dome Hydrangea, and when i tried to look it up for more info, i cant find anything? It says under the name, pee wee, but when i google that it showa a oakleaf type, which isnt what i have. This baby grand is supposed to stay 4 to 6 ft , it reminds me of pee gee which is one of my favorites. It has longer blooms though. Any thoughts? Its definatly not white dome either. Oy!!! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

You know......you're supposed to ask that question before you buy the plant :-))

Depending on the supplier/grower, plants get tagged with a lot of generic names that are not really valid. If it says on the label 'Pee Wee' in addition to that other stuff, then it is most likely a dwarf selection of H. paniculata. Confusing I know, but there is a cultivar of paniculata as well as a cultivar of quercifolia (oakleaf) with the same name. And yes, it is a scaled down version of 'Pee Gee'. Depending on your location and growing conditions, 4-6 feet may be a bit on the conservative side.....could get as big as 8'.

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™