Off beat crops

kkusnierDecember 3, 2007

Has anyone grown something for food that is not common in the garden? Like dandelions for greens? anything else?

Here is a link that might be useful: randomblogging.com

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom_n_6bzone(Western Maryland 6b)

like comfrey or nettles for composting? like mizuna or arugula or minutia for winter harvests? like oriental cabbages and greens under glass? like daikon or china rose/white radishes in cold frames? like daylillies to eat? lol, if they grow, I try them!
~tom

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 9:15AM
erict

Just browse the "Tropical Fruits" forum. I assure you it's hard to find something "common" there....

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 12:29PM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

kkusnier,

Just clicked on your link. Is that potato plant grown from a 'seed potato' or from actual seed?? Please post. Thanks.

Great pics on your blog.

DL

Bookmark   January 14, 2008 at 4:38PM
missinformation

We've got a mini snail farm, which is basically a raised bed of thyme covered with a screen frame to keep the snails from escaping. They are the medium-sized escargot snails, Helix Aspersa Mueller is the name, I believe, and they are all over this area. I built the "farm" to control their diet and save me the trouble of having to season them come dinner time :0

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 12:09AM
Drakens(5a)

Nettles for composting? That stings just thinking about it. I'm curious why would you want to do that?

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 12:51PM
kumquat1

I am in love with my Italian Edible Gourd! Beautiful plant. Lotta food!

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 10:20AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I purchased some wild bird feed and decided to plant a handful of the stuff, tossed it, raked it and watered it. I now have mustard, two sorts of sunflowers, two to four or more grasses and an unidentified something. I expect to have produced enough wild bird feed to fill a medium plastic pail, perhaps more depending upon the sunflowers, starting with one handful of seed.

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 2:43PM
boizeau(7a)

There is a cool hardy solanaceae called Pepino that should thrive in regions a bit too cool for tomatoes, "like Bergen Norway?" anyhow if anybody sees a seed source, please let me know. Another good one is Tomatillo if you have a cool garden. These are not hard to find.

Bookmark   December 20, 2008 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Growing vegetables in part shade?
Have any of you experimented with growing veges in...
Stephen1
Update #2 - Re: Using cornmeal as a plant fungicide
Hi, Many of you have been following the various postings...
nandina
sunflower house
Hi! Still snowy and freezing here in MI, but I'm working...
samhain10
Cornmeal tea for tomato blight
I am trying using cornmeal tea to treat early tomato...
hunter_tx
Human vitamins for plants
I read on here that someone uses vitamins dissolved...
tony_k_orlando
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™