How do I get my hydrangea to bloom?

kimhenkeOctober 19, 2008

I live in West virginia where it freezes in winter. I planted a Hydrangea about 4 years ago and it hasn't bloomed, but the plant is getting bigger every year. Do I have to cut it back in the fall, and if I do When? Do I have to protect the plant in the winter? Do they like acidic or alkaline soil? I am desperate fojr help, I love hydrangea flowers and want desperately to help it bloom. Thanks. Kim in WV

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

First it is good to identify what kind of hydrangea you have. If it blooms pink or blue then you have H. macrophylla which should NOT be pruned in the fall (otherwise you cut the flower buds off).

What gardening zone are you in? Perhaps zone 5? If so, you might also be getting winter freeze on the buds and killing the flowers that way. 'Endless Summer' is one hydrangea was developed to overcome winter bud kill because it can bloom on new wood.

Please look at the site below for lots more information about caring for hydrangeas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Very good site on the care of hydrangeas

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 7:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teachna_hotmail_com

Question...if a hydrangea will not bloom because flower buds were pruned off, then is it absolutely hopeless? Should the plant just be dug out and replaced with a new one?

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Endless Summer Hydrangea Wont Bloom
Hi. I have 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea's. This is the...
emba129
Container size for hydrangea
I have a landscape plan made for my yard by a pro who...
cakbu
What Hydrangea to grow in full sun
Hi, I'm a total newbie to gardening. I want to plant...
Kachana
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™