Pink/Blue/Purple Hydrangeas for zone 4b

jongoldmanOctober 5, 2008

I've got a place in western Maine (near North Conway, NH) that seems to have the perfect conditions for Hydrangeas (dappled sun, lots of moisture, etc.). The only issue is cold; in January the low is about 0 every night and there is always a 1-2 week cold snap where the lows are 10-20 below.

Any suggestions, I have Merit, Nikko Blue, Maracantha an Endless Summer at my reg. house on Long Island.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Unless you want to involve yourself in some serious winter protection, look to those varieties that bloom on both old and new wood - Endless Summer, Early Sensation, Blushing Bride, the Forever and Ever series and various others. These can tolerate dying back to the ground with winter cold yet still generate colorful flowers from new growth that is produce the same season. And they run the gamut in flower colors, depending on choices and your soil conditions. I might still consider mulching heavily for some winter protection just so the shrubs develop some stature and not have to start over from the ground up each season.

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™