Water standing in yard (I rent)

kellyhughesApril 1, 2012

I do not want to spend to much money fixing the standing water in my yard. I thought planting "jacks giant" elephant ears would soak up my problem in a less expensive way. Are there any other ideas for my Slidell area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

Hi I'm from St. Bernard but now live in north MS. I really don't have a good answer for you about the drainage but will share my experience with a wet yard up here. First look at the way the yard drains. Sometimes the ground is uneven which was one problem with us here, and I shoveled and leveled it some, not a really big project (I weigh about 111 so it wasn't heavy work), and that helped alot. Also sometimes there is a fence or blocked up area that has to be cleared of debris. That was the case for us too. I then used raised beds, not made of timbers but just mounded up and dug small trenches as borders around the beds and so the plants stayed much drier and the water that didn't drain sort of ran in the trenches. If I am picturing a flooded yard I don't think most plants would absorb that much water but maybe a tree like river birch would. One other thing, when we get a huge rain like this week 4 inches in 3 days, that is just a one or two day yard drenching but then it does drain. Hope this made some sense or gave you some hope. To truly solve a drainage problem might need a landscape contractor. And if you rent then perhaps the landlord/lady will fix it.
Laurie

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
Looking for Gardeners in the NE
Looking for gardeners that live in Northeast Louisiana,...
sebastian
Mirliton
Anybody see any Mirliton seedlings in the New Orleans,...
alblancher
Night blooming jasmine TREE
not a vine but tree. does anyone have any information...
energy_rater_la
Weed Control New Lawn
Hello! I planted a centipede lawn from seed at the...
BrittWave1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™