Planting this late?

sue36(Z5 Maine)October 23, 2009

I have two hygrangeas that are still in pots (I think it has rained every weekend day for weeks) and am wondering if I will have issues if I get them finally planted this weekend? Do you think I should use a root stimulator? Any other tips? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

It is still fine to plant in this zone. Make sure to leep well watered until the ground freezes (but don't over-water) and mulch the area well. I don't use root stimulators, so can't offer any advice regarding that.

What type of hydrangea are they? Reason this is important to note is regarding need for winter protection. If they are paniculata type or Annabelle, there is no need for winter protection, they bloom on new wood.

If they are macrophylla type, you probably want to winter protect, as they bloom on old wood - lots of threads on winter protection on this forum.

If they are oakleaf types, I advise winter protecting for the first season or two, after that (fully established), they don't require winter protection in my experience.

Yea, it's raining again here today - pretty hard, too. Fall rains are good for the garden, I look at it that way :0)

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 1:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue36(Z5 Maine)

I planted the Tardiva today, the Quick Fire still needs to go in the ground. It was been a horrible Fall, seems like it rains every weekend. All the macs were planted or moved over a month ago (I don't have any macs that bloom only on new wood, waste of time here).

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Endless Summer Hydrangea Wont Bloom
Hi. I have 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea's. This is the...
emba129
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
Sally6340
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™