climbing hydrangea

lalalaOctober 13, 2008

I inherited a young climbing hydrangea when we moved into our house last year. (I think it's a couple of years old and has not bloomed yet.) It's planted up against a stone retaining wall. I can't get it to stick to the wall! It has lots of the clingy rootlet things on it, and I have it propped up so that it's resting against the wall, but so far it has not started to cling. One in a while (strong winds etc.) it just falls over. Can anyone suggest a way to encourage it to stick to the wall? I can't figure out any other kinds of fasteners.

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgia-rose

It will only support itself on very rough surfaces and in the case of brick or stone walls, that is usually the mortar joints. I had heard stories of it climbing up to the top of brick chimneys, so I planted mine adjacent to a brick-faced retaining wall and trained it to grow upright with the aid of a temporary wooden "ladder". It promptly began to expand and grow lateral branches, which attached themselves to the mortar joints. After a few years it became very large, with lush foliage. Two years ago, during a brief, but very heavy, summer rainstorm, the entire vine came down. The weight of the moisture on the foliage was just too great for the roots to support.
You will probably need to support it by using "concrete or mortar" nails, driven partway into the mortar joints and a dark colored plastic twine to attach the branches to those.
That is how landscapers train woody plants when they are espaliered against a wall. If you have a dry-set stone wall(no mortar joints), use any type of galvanized nail that can be tightly wedged into the joints.
Good luck!

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 2:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lalala

Thanks so much for the instructions! I will go examine my wall and see what I can rig up.

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
Difference in Oak Leaf and Macrophylas
I have had both types of hydrangeas and all have had...
seamommy
Limelight and Quick Fire make great companions!
I love how the lime blooms of my Limelight go with...
ostrich
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
where to order hydrangea?
Hi, I want to get Zinfin Doll and Bloomstruck hydrangea...
Brooks23
What taller grasses go with endless summer hydrangea?
I am putting in a new bed of hydrangeas this spring....
suz9601
Sponsored Products
Jane Seymour 13 in. Mixed Hydrangea Planter - JSB216-GRPK
$350.00 | Hayneedle
Tuscan Garden Navarro Sand LED Tall Tapered Outdoor Wall Sconce with Egg and Dar
$534.00 | Bellacor
Colonial Mills Market Mix Stair Tread - Rectangle - 8 x 28 in. - Set of 13 - MM0
$319.99 | Hayneedle
Ambiance Greco Travertine LED Big Rectangular Wall Sconce with Perforations and
$560.00 | Bellacor
Live 'Garden Party' Hydrangea - Set of Two
$24.99 | zulily
Kitty Mansions Toronto Cat Tree - Mocha - TORONTO-MOCHA
$106.00 | Hayneedle
LumenAria Large Cylinder 2000 Lumen LED Wall Sconce
$344.00 | Bellacor
Forever Green Art American Blend
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™