Free trees

pieohmyApril 2, 2007

We are clearing a wooded area in our yard and have several trees up for grabs to whoever would like them. All are small and healthy. We are in the Independence/Montpelier area of Louisiana.

I have so far found the following:

Banana shrub (only one so far and very small still)

White Oak (several)

Tung oil (several)

Chinese cypress (several)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamivileine(z8b OS,MS, US)

I'll take all your tung trees.

What's a banana shrub? You mean a banana plant, like as in the yelo things that monkeys eat ;-)? If you're referring to a regular banana, I'll take that too

please email direct
vileine18sq at hotmail dot com

thanks
tami

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 6:27PM
pieohmy

A banana shrub is more of a small tree when full grown. The blooms smell a lot like bananas. They were very common at one time and are very beautiful full grown. I have tons of tung oil trees. They would take over my yard if I let them.

Here is a link that might be useful: banana shrub

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 9:21PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I saw banana shrubs at Naylor's last month. Had no idea what they were and forgot about 'em till now. I think I'll pick one up later this week. Thanks for the headsup, Pieohmy!

I remember seeing tung oil trees for the first time one spring when we were looking at property in the Covington area. Very pretty in bloom.

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 11:26AM
pieohmy

The "shrub" in banana shrub is deceptive. I have two that are as large as my full grown camellias. But they are lovely and evergreen. I especially like the trunk of the tree. Very interesting when they get older.

Yes, the tung oil are nice too when blooming and very fast growing. Very graceful when full grown.

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 10:26PM
thehurds

I have 3 acres of land with only 1 weeping willow I bought for my front yard, but I would love your White Oaks and
Chinese cypress if you still have any. You can contact my at thehurds@aol.com.

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 8:55PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

Don't know why I missed this thread earlier--maybe 'cause I need less trees rather than more! But thought y'all might be interested in a bit of history about the banana shrub (Michellia figo, I think, and there are some other very nice michellias too). Think I was told about this shortly after I moved here. As was mentioned above, it's a plant that was very popular years ago, and ladies would drop a few flowers down the front of their dresses for the fragrance. (Personally, I think mine at least smells more like cheap artificial banana flavoring than bananas!) Because of that use, some people still call them 'bubby flowers'. Now, doesn't that make your day?

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 12:31AM
pieohmy

Hmmm, maybe I should label it as such LOL.

thehurds, I still do have some. Our chainsaw and some other garden tools were stolen so work has stopped for now it that area :(

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 7:24PM
iris_lover(8/miss)

Hi Pieohmy,

If you have any tung trees left in the fall, I surely would love some.

Please e-mail me. mphillips@surgery.umsmed.edu

Marie

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 3:07PM
pieohmy

I ALWAYS have tung oil trees. Even if I pulled them all from the area I would have more within weeks. Fair warning, they will drop seeds readily and grow babies everywhere.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 3:16PM
rennep(8b)

I would love to have one of the banana and tung oil trees. PLMK. Thanks, Renne'

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 3:38AM
More Discussions
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
Avocats fiscalistes Canada
Deux ans plus tard, votre client vous appelle. Il est...
MichelCoderre1
ID'ing Lawn weeds
Wasn't sure if this were better posted in Louisiana/Missisppi...
gooup
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
Weed Control New Lawn
Hello! I planted a centipede lawn from seed at the...
BrittWave1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™