Advice on perennials in Baton Rouge

jankay(7b)April 21, 2007

I'm in South Carolina, but a friend in Baton Rouge is wanting advice on perennials for his new house.

He has Indian hawthornes in a front bed in full sun, and would like a low-lying, low-maintenance perennial to go in front of them. Any suggestions for what will work well in Louisiana soil? He says it is so fertile there that anything will grow, but I'm afraid to suggest things that have worked for me here, due to the different climate.

Also, any suggestions for taller perennials for the sunny side of his house would be appreciated. He works on his yard regularly, but is not really a gardener.

Thanks so much for any ideas,

Jan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brhgm(z8b LA)

Indian Hawthorn doesn't like wet feet. Some of the dwarf azaleas and camellias work ok with Indian Hawthorn. African Iris and daylilies work great.

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 5:52PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

There are lots of salvias that would work, from small to tall. I'm very happy with my 'Hot Lips' salvia for a shorter one, and S. guaranitica and guaranitica Argentine Skies' are coming into bloom very nicely right now--they're a little taller. Two large ones, can't remember their species names but they're called rose-bud sage and forsythia sage tend to disappoint because they don't start blooming until late in the season and get frosted pretty easily. There are lots and lots more.

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 11:15PM
aj7731

Jan - I am in saint gabriel if your friend does not mind digging I have some amarillys bandanas, some peope call them amarillo lillies both lavender, and white with some pink in them, 90% white. I also have some yellow four o'clock seeds. If he has children, particularly little girls she will love to make necklaces and bracelets with them. my local phone number is 642 7769 God Bless

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 3:17AM
More Discussions
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
ID'ing Lawn weeds
Wasn't sure if this were better posted in Louisiana/Missisppi...
gooup
Need help for a massive flowerbed
Hi. I am planting a whole new flower bed in the front...
sjpaddy23
HOSTA HELP B.R. LOUISIANA
This will be my first year planting hostas so you could...
bcurry1
Sponsored Products
Couristan Recife Veranda Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug - Natural/Terra Cotta Multicolo
$69.00 | Hayneedle
Brasserie Lion Rouge Wall Art
$229.00 | FRONTGATE
Runner Rug: Harrison Rouge 1' 11" x 7' 5"
$49.97 | Home Depot
Gladiolus Belle De Nuit Bulb - Set of 60
$16.99 | zulily
WBM Himalayan Lamps 3 in. LED USB Himalayan Ionic Crystal Salt Mini Lamp Orange
$19.97 | Home Depot
Perennial Tub Mat - WHITE (BATH MAT)
$39.90 | Horchow
Scalamandre Le Zebre Rouge Left Facing Decorative Pillow