Amaryllis

mbmberg(8B LA)April 13, 2005

I live just south of Lafayette but work in Lafayette. I was wondering if anybody knows where I can purchase amaryllis. I already have red and I also have white w/red center. I'm looking for either pinks or doubles. I contacted UL Ira Nelson Horticulture center and I'm waiting for a response.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cajunmama(z9LA)

Hi - check out the gardenweb plant exchange if you are interested in amaryllis. It's great to find something that is hard to buy locally which amaryllis are I have found. I'm in the Lafayette area by the way and please check your email - I mailed ya'.
Cindy (cajunmamma)

Bookmark   April 14, 2005 at 12:25AM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I think you can find them many places in Lafayette before Christmas, as nurseries seem to think of them as holiday bulbs even tho' lots of us grow them outside with great success. Ira Nelson went on plant hunting expeditions in South America and collected species of amaryllis, but I don't think anyone is propagating them for sale. They developed a virus which you wouldn't want. Really sad. But the last time I checked they still had a greenhouse devoted just to them. (I'm in Lafayette too.)
Nancy

Bookmark   April 14, 2005 at 2:47AM
mbmberg(8B LA)

I went to Greenlife Nursery (corner of Verot School Road & Pillette Road) on my lunch hour. Talk about customer service ~ she told me to tell her which ones I was looking for and they would get them for me. While we were talking, another worker came up and asked what we were talking about. He said he was making a trip to Live Oak Nursery early next week and they had all colors.

I can't wait!

Like a kid in a candy store~

Bookmark   April 14, 2005 at 2:17PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

Best kind of candy--no cavities, no calories! I'll have to check out that place, thanks for posting it!

Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 12:19AM
More Discussions
When to seed new lawn with Centipede?
We had our new house lot graded with fresh dirt in...
skb3_br
ID'ing Lawn weeds
Wasn't sure if this were better posted in Louisiana/Missisppi...
gooup
Avocats fiscalistes Canada
Deux ans plus tard, votre client vous appelle. Il est...
MichelCoderre1
Full Sun Shrubs
I have tried two years in a row to get some shrubs...
daviddsims
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™