genus of beans question

veggiecanner(Id 5/6)January 15, 2007

Is there any place I can find out the genus of these beans? I need to know if they could cross with wax or green snap bush or pole beans.

Marconi "Stazagorski Strain" Romano Bush Bean

I grew them for 2 years saving seeds each time and the shape of the beens changed as well as the color of the flower. It's been suggested they were runner beans, is this possible?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

It is Phaseolus vulgaris (common beans), which is the same as snap beans sold in the U.S.

Crossing can occur with other common beans (both bush & pole), including many soup or dry beans; and judging by your comments, this has happened to your Marconi Romanos.

If you took note of the original flower color, you might be able to purify the strain by roguing out the crosses... but if the crossing is widespread, this could take at least a couple of years. Since seed is still available, it might be best to just start over with fresh seed. The following two sources still carry it:

http://www.felcopruners.net/index.php/cPath/146_152

http://www.gourmetseed.com/bush_snap_bean_seed.0.html

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 1:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
veggiecanner(Id 5/6)

Thanks that is what I thought. Some one tryed to convince me that beans can not cross, well I have the evidence. I just might order some more in the future, they did produce well, even in the years following The first one when they were pure. I may grow some of the seed again this year just to refresh my memory on how bad they are crossed.

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™