Covered patio, container plants

cursivesailorApril 7, 2008

We are about to start building our house. The living space will be on the second floor, the first floor will be half enclosed garage. But the back half will be open to the back yard. We are in New Orleans, and I don't want to get wet again, hence the raised house. Our "covered patio" area will be about 35 by 35 feet. Huge area, most of which will have no direct sunlight. What shade plants do well in containers? Tall, short, mini-trees, a little bit of everything.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amaryllis6(z9La)

I live south of you on the coast. i elevated my house and enclosed some underneath also. I have a lot of potted plants. They are rubber plant, shefflera, mother in law tongue, norfolk island pine, devil's backbone(bird of paradise),asparagus fern, foxtail fern, begonias,succulents, just to name a few. These do well for me. Good luck to you.

Bookmark   April 12, 2008 at 8:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
visforveg(7)

I have a hydrangea that has done well in partial shade in a pot since last spring. The first flower is coming out now. I also have asparagus fern, toad lilies, autumn fern, Irish moss, dianthus, and alyssum in pots. All have done well in indirect light or shade.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
Mirliton
Anybody see any Mirliton seedlings in the New Orleans,...
alblancher
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Northeast Mississippi Gardeners
Anyone here from Booneville/Tupelo area ? Jenkins
Jenkins
How to get rid of elephant ears?
I know these can be really nice plants(and I'm sure...
Gumbo
Weed Control New Lawn
Hello! I planted a centipede lawn from seed at the...
BrittWave1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™