Any chance of living though winter?

nyboyOctober 29, 2012

I picked up 10 potted hydrangea cheap at end of season sale. Most only had a few leaves, as I was planting them I noticed lots of buds on stems. I know its to close to freezing weather for them to not freeze, will this kill the bush?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bfly8

It may. It would help to know what type of hydrangea do you have, not to mention what zone you are in. I just bought a batch of Quickfire on sale, which I was quite enthused about as well. Placing a layer of several inches of mulch around the entire rootball would help. Perhaps even surrounding the plant with a tomato cage or similar apparatus filled with leaves would help as well. The goal will be to protect the plant from freeze/thaw and wind damage. Still, much of the plant could be killed back during a harsh winter, but new shoots may emerge from the ground if well protected.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 7:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

If you experience cold winters (Zone 6 pr colder), another option is to keep the plants potted in a garage, water them once every 1-2 weeks and plant them in the ground about 2 weeks after your area's average date of last freeze. Do not fertilize them now; the potting medium probably already has those round fertilizer pellets anyways.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 3:14AM
More Discussions
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
What Hydrangea to grow in full sun
Hi, I'm a total newbie to gardening. I want to plant...
Kachana
Oakleaf Hydrangeas and Late Freezes
I will be planting a Snow Queen Oakleaf Hydrangea and...
samnsarah
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™