Leggy Pinky Winky

RoseAbbeyOctober 5, 2009

I have some pinky winkies that I planted late July. The nursery was having their clearance and got these for a good price however, some of the lower leaves on these plants had died off and they look a little bare from the ground up to about 12 inches. The rest of the plant looks great, lots of leaves and flowers. Do I need to prune them down so in spring the leaves sprout lower down on the plant and they will be more bushy or will they do that without pruning them? If I do need to prune them do I do that now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

The leaves will reappear next season all over the stems, so no need to prune for that reason :-) If you want a denser shrub you can cut back the stems but it is not absolutely necessary.....the plant should generate some new growth from the root crown each season anyway. And there is some validity to the argument that allowing the stems to remain intact so that the wood has time to 'ripen' will provide better support for heavy flowerheads and the plant will not droop from their weight. Any pruning on paniculatas should be done in late winter or early spring as new growth emerges - it will have no effect on flower production.

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 8:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RoseAbbey

Thank you gardengal48 I was hoping I wouldnt have to prune them. Cant wait til next spring, they are gorgeous now so I can just image how great they will look next year.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 8:09AM
More Discussions
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™