Mirliton

alblancher(8)May 23, 2005

Anybody see any Mirliton seedlings in the New Orleans, Northshore area?

They are starting to show up in the grocery so I wonder if I can just try to start a couple of those?

Thanks,

Al

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dannyboquet(z9 So Louisiana)

Yes, you can plant the ones in the store. The plants, however, are male and female and you need one of each to make fruit. I don't know how to tell what sex the plant will be from the fruit.

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 10:56AM
fred-story_teller

My wife is going to Lafayette this Sunday.
Is there a place near Lafayette/carencro that she can purchase potted mirilitons?

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 6:08PM
digdahlias

Hubby and I simply bought a couple of mirliton at the fruit stand and planted. This will be their 3rd year of production. Look at LSU agcenter web site - they have a great pdf file on growing these. good luck. If you are ever in Baton Rouge Naylor's had potted mirliton for sale.

Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 6:21AM
labefana

I'm going to try growing these for the first time. Do check out the LSU Ag site. At another site (http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Articles/Mirletons.htm Jack Guidry from Lafayette gives this suggestion: Take several mirlitons and place them in a paper bag (leave it open for air flow) and set them in a cool, dark, dry place.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: LSU Ag site

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 7:30PM
itsbarb_bellsouth_net

Where can I buy local mirilitons. The ones I buy in the supermarket are not local and I cannot get them to bear fruit. I would like to buy some local seedlings or plants. I live in New Orleans. Thanks

Bookmark   January 13, 2011 at 8:43PM
louisianagal(z7bMS)

See if you can click on this link or cut and paste this url address. It tells about what you are asking and a history and how Katrina destroyed most vines. They are trying to bring the vines back. Good luck. Try the French Quarter Farmers Market, other local farmer's markets, and LSU Ag Center for further info. Season for mirlitons is fall/December.

http://www.crescentcityfarmersmarket.org/uploads/file/A_Guide_to_Growing_Mirlitons.pdf

Bookmark   January 14, 2011 at 3:34PM
deep_south_gardener(z9b)

I've seen some at Rose Garden Center on the Westbank Expressway in Marrero before. You could call and ask if they have any at this time. 504-341-5664

Bookmark   January 17, 2011 at 8:54PM
pjames(8/LA)

I was wondering how many people grew these and how far north in Louisiana they do. I recently watched a video on youtube from a guy named John Kohler who grows them in northern California.

http://www.youtube.com/user/growingyourgreens This is the link to his site which gives you his most recent video. The guy converted his whole yard into raised beds for vegetables.

I am thinking of trying to grow chayote or mirlitons along a fence. One other thought was how to best utilize any fruit that may be produced.

Bookmark   January 19, 2011 at 6:25PM
KRAGAS(9)
    Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 9:43PM
one800fish

You do NOT need a male and female mirliton. Only one is required. To learn all you ever wanted to know about mirlitons go here. http://mirlitons.org/
Also , the grocery store mirliton will not produce fruit and will probably not survive.
Get a heirloom Louisiana mirliton. You can sign up for notification when and where they are available at the link shown. If you do get one, don't let it cross pollinate with another variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: mirlitons.org

This post was edited by one800fish on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 13:29

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 1:18PM
kchedville(8)

Hi,
I am looking to plant some Mirliton this year, family farm, nothing large -- am looking for anyone who sells them on the North Shore of the Lake -- around Slidell or Picayune, Mississippi.
Thanks for any help
Kevin

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 1:47PM
paddyboom(none9)

i found my local mirlitons at our local farmers mkt.i live in bay st. louis, short drive from nola.this is always a great place to ask questions about local fruit and veggies...

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 8:07AM
davidnall(8b)

Alligator pears. People used to grow them up a tree.
Stuff them like bell peppers and bake in the oven.
real cajun cooking.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Northeast Mississippi Gardeners
Anyone here from Booneville/Tupelo area ? Jenkins
Jenkins
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
Beets and Chard are Falling Over
Hello All, I've noticed recently that my beets and...
jshphoto
looking for local source of native azaleas
Hi, Does anyone know of any sources for native azaleas...
kchd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™