when do lacecape set out buds?

yodioOctober 7, 2008

I have a Lady in Red whose leaves are turning a gorgeous burgundy. But I'm getting a little nervous about not seeing any buds on the tips? I do see new leaf nodes developing mid-branch, but nothing on the tips. Anyone else seeing their lacecaps budding yet? I'm wondering if it doesn't get enough sun (north face of house) and if so, whether it needs to be moved to produce any blossoms. It did flower this year, but I bought it in May so it had buds already.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

The flower buds will not be visible at this time of year - while the plant begins to set flower buds now, they do not develop into anything significant until late spring. Even in my very mild zone 8 - where hydrangeas go through winter virtually untouched by cold - I see no visible signs of flower buds until around late April-May.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 5:46PM
yodio

But this is also for lacecaps, which bloom on old wood? I thought from the threads on winterizing that one had to be careful bundling lacecaps so as not to disturb the buds on the tips?

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 9:26PM
gardengal48

Lacecaps are only a flower form - not a different type hydrangea necessarily than those that produce mopheads. If it is one that requires winter protection, you need to make sure whatever method you use does not damage the branch tips, mophead OR lacecap, as this is where the flowerbuds will form. Burlap, harvest cloth, blankets, etc. that can be moved easily by wind and rub against the tips can also rub off the dormant flower buds. You also want to make sure the tips are adequately protected from cold as well and not exposed to the air, as this can also damage or destroy the buds.

But it doesn't make any difference if it is a lacecap or a mophead flower form - if it blooms on old wood, the buds are set in late summer/early fall at the tips of the branches but they will not necessarily be visible or readily identified as such.

Bookmark   October 10, 2008 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Hydrangea Annabelle - Will it grow in Florida?
I fell in love with Hydrangea Annabelle when I was...
love_the_yard
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
Deer resistant hydrangea?
Hello! I am looking to replace some shrubs this spring...
chelseahasrouni
where to order hydrangea?
Hi, I want to get Zinfin Doll and Bloomstruck hydrangea...
Brooks23
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Sponsored Products
Goccia Prisma Pendant by Slamp
$443.20 | Lumens
Goddess USB Hub
$43.99 | Dot & Bo
Moss letters - letter e
Origin Crafts
Kathy Ireland Santa Barbara KI202 2'2" x 8' Grey Rug
$159.00 | PlushRugs
Pillow Perfect Outdoor Tufted Orange/ White Geometric Seat Cushion (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Duravit | Starck 1 Close-Coupled Toilet
$1,023.75 | YBath
Map of San Francisco Wall Art
Home Decorators Collection
Kartell | Maui Armless Chair, Set of 4
YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™