1 week old bean plants starting to curl and wither

mrd05dJanuary 30, 2013

I started these bean plants about a week ago. They sprouted quickly and looked pretty good. Then after about a week I noticed they started to point their leaves down towards the dirt instead of at 90 degrees to catch light.

I keep it between 75 and 80 in the house ( I am starting indoors as it has been raining cloudy and light would have been an issue). I have them under two 4' fluorescent for about 14-16 hours a day. They are bout 2-4 inches below the light as of current.

I am watering 2-3 times a day with spray bottle making sure to be careful not to spray the leaves. I'm not sure why they are curling and drooping but was wondering if anyone could tell through a picture or with my description of what I am doing wrong.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweetquietplace(6 WNC Mtn.)

The potting medium looks dry to me. I would pour the water to it either from the top, or from the botttom, and see if that helps. It may be time to add a little fertilizer too.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 12:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrd05d

I transplanted the beans into a much larger container (final container they will be in 24" x 8"). I watered and literally overnight they perked back to normal. Is it possible that the root systems got so dense and pushed the soil out to where there was not enough soil to hold the amount of water needed for the plant?

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
Show Me Your Trellis
This bean trellis was anchored by three foot long steel...
jimster
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™