Tell me... is there any chance I can....

carrie630(z7bNC)October 20, 2008

moved my Unique Hydrangeas (paniculata) (I am new at this so forgive me with the "name"...). I know I have read that you should wait until they are dormant (or at least until the first frost), but I wondered if there is a chance we can still move them with their leaves still on - our first frost is in three weeks. My husband is ready to get this done, but I told him we had to wait until there were no leaves. Am I right? Thanks so much

Carrie

Also, confused - I've never trimmed them and they have bloomed wonderfully - but I heard they bloom on "new wood", so does that mean in the spring I can go ahead and trim them down a bit? Thanks - always confused when it comes to hydrangeas. PS The flowers are now a pale pink...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carrie630(z7bNC)

sorry - my photobucket is messed up - there is no picture showing right now, I believe :0/

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 6:16PM
jemboysch

I don't think it would be a big problem if you moved it now instead of a month from now. Just make sure you get lots of the roots and water in well at planting time and at least for the next couple of weeks. Paniculatas do bloom on new growth and spring is the best time to prune. Prune heavy for larger but less blooms or sparingly for smaller but more blooms.
Jm

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 8:15PM
carrie630(z7bNC)

Thank you - that's great news!

Carrie

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™