Disease ID and solution?

ctreynard(Zone 6--Chicopee, MA)June 27, 2014

Hey, all! Noob to irises here. I bought a clump of iris from a nursery, and the leaves were spotty (end of season sale, just thought it was due to iris being in a container for so long.) I trimmed off the edges with issues, and now it's back. Do I have to dig up the whole clump and dispose? Is there a solution? I'd love to save the iris, but fear that this may have spread to a nearby clump which used to be perfect. :(

Thank you for taking the time to read. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

It is iris fungal leaf spot most likely. It occurs more in rainy or foggy weather. Overhead watering would also contribute. Some years are bad, others none. Doesn't kill the rhizome. Next spring new growth will be clean.

Continue to cut away the infected leaves or trimming. If you wish you can spray now with a fungicide to prevent further spreading. I think directions call for repeat sprays. Daconil is one some people use. I have used whatever was on hand for the roses.

An unsightly thing but not life threatening like soft rot. Digging up the clump is unnecessary. Hopefully next year it won't appear!

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 5:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ctreynard(Zone 6--Chicopee, MA)

Thank you very kindly for the advice iris_gal.
:) Will do, and much appreciated that I don't have to get rid of my "before the storm" clump. I think I've given a dozen people the iris bug with that clump, so I was hoping that I wouldn't have to destroy it.

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
Maybe Triple Your Pleasure?
I was so pleased by the ample rebloom I got from Double...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™