Your suggestions please

RoseAbbeyOctober 11, 2009

In your opinion which type of hydrangea would suit planting around our new 12ft octagon gazebo next spring. The gazebo is exposed to all directions. I would like something that I wont have to prune excessively, I do not want to height to be over the handrail which is about 3ft high. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

I would check the Cityline Series (Vienna, Berlin for example) or Pia (also known as Pink Elf; big blooms; will need winter protection).

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 1:06AM
luis_pr

Sorry. I was going to list three answers and left out Masja. By the way, roseabbey, I assume your soil is well draining and that the soil Ph is not extreme. If it is, you will need to amend it once or twice annually. Being so far north, you will probably not need to pay as much attention as I do to the amount of sun that the plants get in mid-summer (to protect the leaves from frying). I hope others chime in with additional suggestions. Let us know what you choose. If you post a picture of the gazebo and close-by plants or structures, there are some people here that can also suggest other plants as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Hydrangeas

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 3:32AM
madeyna(7/8)

I think one of the forever and ever series would be the height you want and zone hardie for your area. My forever and ever Early Sensation has been a blooming machine for me. Its only supposed to get to 30 to 36 inchs tall and wide.

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™