Getting rid of Banana Trees

dobra1629(z5 NY)May 18, 2007

I just recently moved to Houma LA and have already grown to loathe the banana trees that my neighbor across the fence has growing in his yard and therefore under his fence and into my yard. I have tried to get rid of them but every week more pops up. The roots are very deep and I dont want to ruin my new sod. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamivileine(z8b OS,MS, US)

if you weren't so far, I'd just make regular trips over and come and get 'em. Geez why do I have neighbors who kill everything and just have icky grass?... I'd like a bunch of 'nanners next to me ;-)

I see nothing for it but to mess up your sod. You need to install a barrier, like a rhizome barrier that people use for discouraging bamboo species from spreading. If you're getting along with the neighbor, have a conversation with him and maybe he'll be interested in a compromise of some sort. The decent thing in any case is to at least try to talk to the neighbor...

Bookmark   May 19, 2007 at 10:00AM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

Isn't it funny how often one person loves something another one hates? Big case in the paper this morning about someone whose yard is a registered wildlife habitat, whose neighbors have complained to the 'plant police' that she has a messy yard and they're going to come after her. Now I find 'crepe murder' and little green meatballs much more offensive.

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 12:59AM
tamivileine(z8b OS,MS, US)

You mean 'crap myrtle?' With its lovely little flowers that laminate themselves to all surfaces?

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 7:48AM
dobra1629(z5 NY)

Don't get me wrong. The trees are fine but in HIS yard. Not mine! Talking to him is not going to keep the shoots from coming up in my yard or the other neighbors to the right and left of me. These trees are crazy and I have yet to see bananas on them. I don't even know if they produce bananas.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 1:42PM
pieohmy

I would take them too if you were closer. I've been looking everywhere around here for some and can't find them. I've seen them bloom and get bananas here (Hammond area) so they should in Houma too. The fruit I saw was on very old trees and didn't seem to reach edible size.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 12:30AM
More Discussions
Looking for Gardeners in the NE
Looking for gardeners that live in Northeast Louisiana,...
sebastian
How to get rid of elephant ears?
I know these can be really nice plants(and I'm sure...
Gumbo
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
Has anybody else seen purple dragonflies?
Hi! I was drinking my coffee by the koi pond this morning...
taffyj
When to seed new lawn with Centipede?
We had our new house lot graded with fresh dirt in...
skb3_br
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™