Wildflower i.d. please

MichelleMartin(8Mississippi)May 20, 2007

I'm not sure where this plant came from, it's in the yard in moved into. It's quite invasive also. It has white/beige tubers and they are fleshy. The plants stand about 3ft tall, some shorter, few taller. Here is a link to one pic of the flower head with leaves. The tall stalk does have leaves on it also, not many though. They leaf off the stalk in two's, not side by side, theya are staggered.

http://www.pbase.com/shell7/image/79080659

Thank you for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
srburk

Looks like alstromeria.......also called Peruvian lily or Parrotlily........according to some quick research, it is an escaped tropical plant from South America. It is considered invasive in many places. It says to control them well that you must deadhead before seeds are cast if you want to keep them. If you don't, you're going to have to keep pulling them up for a while, as the seeds have an indeterminate germination rate.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 1:26PM
tamivileine(z8b OS,MS, US)

send me some of those! I'll pay postage...

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 2:03PM
MichelleMartin(8Mississippi)

Thank you so very much, srburk! That sure is it. I've looked for 2 yrs for the id. LOL! Yep, it's quite invasive, but thank goodness it's pretty much contained to one area. I appreciate it!

tamivileine, where are you? I'm not familiar with OS,MS. Or is that an abbreviation for the city/town? I'd be glad to try to send you some of these. Can you email me through this forum? So I can give you my home addy?

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
ID'ing Lawn weeds
Wasn't sure if this were better posted in Louisiana/Missisppi...
gooup
Night blooming jasmine TREE
not a vine but tree. does anyone have any information...
energy_rater_la
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
Mirliton
Anybody see any Mirliton seedlings in the New Orleans,...
alblancher
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™