This may sound stupid...but

tammyinwv(z6/WV)January 25, 2013

I have read that beans and potatoes were good companion plants. So i was wondering if pole beans could be planted around a potatoe hills?
Tammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

Interesting Tammy. Sounds like a good idea if the beans aren't planted too dense to shade the potatoe foilage. Hope others chime in.

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 2:05AM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Never tried it... but pole beans would shade the potatoes, and when the potatoes are dug, it would disturb the roots of the beans. Probably not a good match. Peas might be a better idea, since they are both planted in cool weather, and the peas would likely be done when the potatoes are dug.

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 2:06AM
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

Tammy, I think your idea has a lot of merit. Plant the bean or peas arount the potatoes far enough away for the potatoe plant to grow and not crowd them. They would be picked way before the potatoes anyway. Maybe you can't get a late crop but sounds like a good space saver. Succession planting all at once. LOL

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 5:52PM
tammyinwv(z6/WV)

My house backs up to a hilly wooded area to the NE, with the house facing SW. The garden is in the back. I was considering planting a long row of pole beans going about E to w, facing the S, with the potatoes planted at the bases of the pole beans, and I considering planting bush beans at the bases of the corn. One article I read yesterday stated there was a study done and it showed only slight reduction in harvest amount of potatoes . But it didnt say if one was planted above the area or between.other articles seem to suggest it will work, but still no specifics as to whether on top or planted in between.
Tammy

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 5:59PM
tammyinwv(z6/WV)

I just read the article below. So I guess the idea aint too far off the wall. This says to plant the potatoes right in front of the beans tho.
Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion planting

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™