Transplant Hydrangea tree...in two years....

mickeddie(6)October 30, 2005

I planted a Pee Gee Hydrangea tree two years ago in my back yard. It is now about 5 ft. tall. It doesn't get much sun and I want to move it to my front yard where it will get LOTS of sun. The challenge is, there is a cement walkway currently where I want my tree to go. I plan on having that walkway removed in the spring of '07 and replaced with pavers in a different location. Once the walkway is removed, I can transplant my hydrangea tree in that spot.

How big will the tree be in two years? Will I still be able to successfully transplant it at that time? Is Southern Exposure too much sun for this tree (I'm in Southeastern PA, Zone 6).

Thank you so much for your help.

Michelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hayseedman(z5/6 Ct.)

You can cut it back to any size you want. But your problem is the size of the rootball. I would go in now and root prune the shrub. Pretend that you're going to transplant it and dig all around, trying to get at the roots under the plant, too. If it's only been in the ground for a couple of years, it might not have spread so much. The plant will grow new roots, but these would be more compact. Do the same thing next year, too, and then move it. You could dig it up now and keep it in a pot for a couple of years.

It's said many times that it's a lot easier to just start over with a new plant than to try moving an established one.

Good luck. Hay.

Bookmark   November 2, 2005 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
where to order hydrangea?
Hi, I want to get Zinfin Doll and Bloomstruck hydrangea...
Brooks23
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™